Classic Cut-Out Sugar Cookies
Makes 3 dozen cookies
Prep and Chilling Time: 2 1/2 hours
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
For Cookies:2 ½ cups all-purpose flour, sifted
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 cup unsalted butter, softened and cut into four pieces
1 ½ cups powdered sugar
2 large egg whites
1 tsp vanilla extract
½ teaspoon almond extract
½ pound bag powdered sugar
¼ cup unsalted butter, softened
½ tablespoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoon fat-free milk
An assortment of food coloring and decorative holiday sprinkles
- In a large bowl, combine sifted flour, baking soda, and cream of tartar; set aside.
- Mix butter, powdered sugar, egg whites, vanilla, and almond extract until creamy. Add flour mixture and blend until combined. Cover mixing bowl and chill for about two hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease cookie sheets with butter or nonstick spray.
- Remove dough from fridge. Roll out dough on lightly floured surface. Cut into holiday shapes with cookie cutters. Bake for seven to eight minutes, watching carefully so that edges do not burn.
- Remove from oven. Cool completely on wire racks before frosting.
Mix the powdered sugar, butter, vanilla and milk until creamy and easy to spreadable. Separate frosting into small bowls; add a few drops of different food coloring into each bowl. Decorate cookies with frosting and sprinkles.